In line with the FAM F:30 Roadmap and recent launch of the FAM Grassroots brand SupaRimau, the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) announced the FAM Grassroots Competition Format and Guidelines 2019–2020 at the FAM SupaRimau League Workshop held in Wisma FAM, Kelana Jaya on the 15 June 2019 where representatives from 42 Football Academies & Grassroots League organizers in Klang Valley attended.
This competition format and guidelines will cater to three age categories that are: U8, U10, and U12 and will focus on developments that will help all academies, community & recreational football clubs, schools and grassroots league organizers have a standard to adhere to.
Malaysian Grassroots Football will benefit by having:
- An alignment of FAM competitions Nationwide
- An increase in growth participation and retention in order to produce future players
- A uniformity between all States in Malaysia which means a 9-year-old from Perlis to Kuala Lumpur to Sabah will have similar match experiences.
- An improvement in the quality of football in Malaysia
- It will also serve as an awareness and education for coaches, parents, players, and officials
Some key highlights FAM will be promoting:
- No prize money for all Under-12 tournaments
- Playing in proper pitch size
- Increase the number of matches for all participating teams and players
- All players should be given the opportunity to play
- Encouraging teams to build up play from the back
“These competitions will drive development and with more competitions, we believe it will produce more coaches and officials for our Malaysian football. It all starts at the Grassroots level,” said FAM General Secretary, Stuart Ramalingam.
Download the FAM Grassroots Competition Format here
Download the FAM SupaRimau Format & Guidelines 2019/2020 Info Pack here